If you would like to book me to run a course at your institution or writing group, please get in touch to discuss your needs Fees are negotiable and depend on where you are, and what you want. The courses listed here are just suggestions and I am happy to do something bespoke for your group’s needs.
“Very good value for money”
“The course is excellent and a must for anyone wishing to break into the women’s magazine market”
“Very supportive and constructive feedback”
“A fantastic day”
Day Retreat for Writers
Come and spend a day with fellow writers being inspired, exercising your writing skills and sharing your work in a supportive atmosphere.
- Ideas are everywhere: interactive session focussing on sourcing ideas and making them work.
- Free-writing session: take one of your new ideas and start turning it into a story.
- Question and answer session: group discussion of markets, subbing, other directions for your writing, or anything else.
- A chance to read out work and get feedback: read out what you’ve written on the day, or bring something along with you to read out.
- What next?: goal setting and any final questions.
Write A Short Story In A Day
This workshop is very active, and focusses on sourcing an idea for a new short story, to be aimed at a specific market, and writing as much of a first draft of it as possible in the time available. Some preparation (outlined beforehand) can help get the most out of this course.
Exercises are used to:
- stimulate ideas.
- develop plots.
- practice writing.
There is also plenty of free-writing time.
Insight Into The Women’s Magazine Fiction Market
A one-day workshop that looks at writing for the increasingly tough and sadly shrinking women’s magazine market.
Aimed at those who have been writing for a while (whether or not stories have been submitted) and who want to find out more about this market to maximise their chances of success.
- Current state of the market.
- How to tailor stories for particular magazines.
- How to ensure your story stands out from the rest.
- Pitfalls to avoid.
- Rewriting stories for a different market.
Moving On Short Story Workshop
This course is very practical, and helps participants work towards the first draft of a story for their chosen women’s magazine market.
- How to think up killer ideas, including the use of mind-mapping and treasure-mapping techniques!
- Thinking up great titles, but not being afraid to let them go.
- Learning the difference between a twist and a surprise.
- Creating great characters, and learning to write convincing dialogue.
- How to use themes and motifs to lift your story out of the ordinary.